Sunday, November 9, 2008

When Push Comes to Shove


DSC_0688, originally uploaded by jake orr.

"If there's a bustle in your hedge-row, don't be alarmed now" - Led Zepplin

I was thinking the other day about how I've been hearing a lot lately about the weather getting people down. It's that in between season right now. Right at the end of fall, but getting close enough to winter to start seeing snow on the hillsides and getting the occasional flurry that doesn't last. Fall. Winter. Should we call this Finter? Wall? How about Falter? I think that seems more appropriate.

It was a grey, Falter morning and I was on my way to the bus stop when I noticed a tree deep in the throws of seasonal change. The leaves were an amazingly rich, red and some had started to dry up and fall to the ground. These brown, dead leaves brought interesting contrast to the image and helped me to appreciate the stunning red leaves all the more. It's little things like this that can help you to appreciate the beauty of the season even under its grey blanket. The lovely sights are still there; you've just got to look a little harder to see them.

This revelation has opened my eyes to even more spectacular sights. Next time you're out on a dreary fall day have a look around. What can you see? Maybe there are some brightly coloured trees dropping their artwork onto the grass. You might be treated to clouds rolling down the hills, creeping between tree and houses, and gripping entire hillsides in their grey tendrils. You might be riding on a bus on a drizzly day and when you look out the window you notice that you're looking through an intricate web of criss crossing water lines and droplets. There really is so much beauty to see. You've just got to look for it.


So I was reminded, thanks to Kaare's comment on my last post, that not everyone's going to be able to come see my showing at Starbucks and some of you might be curious

which photos I'm going to be showing. They are all pictures people have seen, but I'd like to maintain at least a modicum of suspense for the showing itself. I'll tell you what though, I'll make sure to take pictures of the show itself or at the very least let you know which shots I used after they're up at the 'Bucks. I hope everyone understands and can contain their irresistible excitement. I know you can do it.

Until next week, stay happy!

5 comments:

Rivkah said...

Wow. what a gorgeous photo jake.
What kind of camera do you use?
I would love to get your input on my next photo project, we should go an expedition soon!

jake said...

Oh man do I ever have too much information to answer your question: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorr/3014655181/meta/

I'd love to go photoing with you!

Joel said...

I agree with your thoughts on weather. Although here we call it Autumn, because seasons can't be verbs.
Wautumn?
Aunter?

kaare.iverson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kaare.iverson said...

I'm reminded of this picture that I took as well (note that the settings are actually pretty similar)
flora