Sunday, December 14, 2008

Great Tidings


DSC_0959, originally uploaded by jake orr.

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: 15 sec (15)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO Speed: 100

Beautiful Effect: Complete Accident.

At the risk of sounding like an overused advertising gimmick, I wanted to talk about these accidental pictures that you occasionally get. The surprise photos that just look amazing.

I stumbled over this one while I was taking flash photos at our Habitat Christmas party. At one point I forgot to turn the flash on and the camera, adjusting for the low light, slowed down the shutter speed for me. It was one of those: push the shutter button, wait, wait...realize what happened, and lower the camera. The shutter finally closed and this appealing image popped up on the display. I turned the flash back on and went about my picture taking ways. When I uploaded the images to my computer and started the editing process I was pleasantly surprised by this shot that looked even better at full size.

This is just one of the many parts of photography that I find rewarding and, you know, fun. I'm not sure if you know what I mean or if this is anything more than just another pretty picture to you, but it's one of the simple little things in photography, in life, that just puts a smile on my face. I hope it can do the same for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You put a smile on my face!